Wednesday 6 July 2011

Roots Rot!


The problem with roots is that roots don’t give you answers. Roots just hold the truth and the truth is seldom an answer in itself. Knowing one’s roots doesn’t necessarily set one free to grow and become a tree in the forest of humanity. After all, trees do not grow from the same roots!

But there is always the possibility that I am not a tree, standing tall with my own roots planted firmly in the nourishing soil, maybe I'm just a parasitic vine; maybe my conception did not begin with a seed but rather with a cutting; or just a branch of someone else’s tree – rotten and waiting for a gust of wind to make me fall; or a fruit on a branch, or just a leaf? Susceptible to the seasons, waiting to float and twirl to the ground where I will dry and rot in the soil or even worse, in the gutter where I will not even become nourishment for other seeds and plants. Maybe I’ve already been through my life’s autumn and I am already lying in the gutter waiting for another flurry or someone’s piss to wash me away into the sewer.

No comments: