Friday 5 August 2011

RILE ME UP!



I’m not sure what makes me angrier:
The fact that wars are still being fought
Provoked by men with ulterior motives and security details
Mass murderers who speak of peace with blood on their hands
Inciting their flock with tales of ancient gripes
In this age of supposed enlightenment;
Or the fools with the guns in their hands.

I’m not sure what makes me more despondent:
The fact that supposedly educated people
Still believe in the ancients’ fairytales of a flat-earth prophecy
Who spoke of love from pulpits of greed and hatred
Duping congregations of apathetic victims with eyes tightly shut
Praying earnestly to dead gods and decayed messiahs;
Or the complicit complacency of the conscious.

I’m not sure what makes me feel more murderous:
The fact that these fat-cat politicians can still so easily deceive their constituents
In their flashy suits spewing a mindless, stock-phrased rhetoric
With pudgy and groping, manicured hands profiteering from poverty
Unconcerned in their landscaped suburbs hidden behind impenetrable walls
Condemning the critics and criticizing the condemned;
Or the masses who buy the lies each time.

I’m not sure what makes me more disgusted:
The fact that these corporate giants with their PR teams
Can market their wholesale destruction with sophisticated ads in glossy mags
Making us feel as if our lives are not complete if we don’t aspire
To acquire whatever package deal they have put together
In their sweatshops and factories by low-paid casual labour;
Or the buying public who worship the brands.

I’m not sure what makes me more pessimistic:
The honest racist who will share their last bread
But from an old, stained cracked bowl
Or the lying liberal stuck in a new age Aquarian mould,
The rich who don’t care or the poor who don’t dare
Fairytale religions and theoretical systems or the general inaction;
But the one thing I do know is that this state of affairs riles me up!

No comments: