Friday 9 September 2011

The end of the tale...

 And as the first draft of this Tale of Extra Ordinary Madness draws to its conclusion and my time here in Nieu Bethesda draws to a close, I am already dreading the return to the city.

Just this afternoon I was walking with Spooky and Gump - my walking companions - as the sun was setting with the sound of the wind in the trees, the rustle of leaves, birdsong, geese and chickens; a wind pump, the water flowing steadily in the furrow; timeless and soothing.
Soon all of this will be just a memory and I thought about the constant, furious, cacophonous rush and fearful vigilance of life in the city and my soul sighed with the wind.

My last few weeks here will be filled with a sad nostalgia for the beauty that I have been privileged to be a part of. The people, the children, the souls' calm. Talk of stock theft and petty crime will be replaced by sirens and burglar bars and the constant fear. No more moonlit walks, no more silence, no more tranquility. Just the rush...

No comments: