Tuesday 3 December 2013

APOLOGIES & LEGACIES



How would you react
If I arrived at your door
Unannounced and insistent
To fry the bacon
And sit in your favourite chair
The remote control in my hand?

How would you feel
If when you opened your mouth
I beat you
To within an inch of your life
Then raped your wife
And told you to be grateful?

What would you say
If I then declared it my right
The privilege of my superior might
And my brutally civil intellect
To have a child with your daughter
So that someone could dig your grave.

What would you think
As you lingered at death’s door
If I told that child not to worry
That your suffering will end
Pray and you will be forgiven
When you get to heaven.

Would you accept my apology
Even though I think I did nothing wrong;
Would you believe my sincerity
Even though your home remained my own;
Would you be able to forget
When constantly confronted with this legacy?

No comments: