Thursday 27 November 2014

Departures and arrivals...


We had a flight to Joburg at 6.20 and I was convinced that I was going to have an early night until some bud-heads stopped by. Drinks, dinner and the frenetic insanity of spontaneous creative interaction and I eventually got to bed at 1. The alarm was set for 4.15.

Fortunately the night wasn’t too rough and we made it to the airport in time. Just-just.

I hardly touched the inflight breakfast of powdered eggs and canned smoortjie with a dodgy little sausage, but the juice and the water were good companions.

The airport terminal in Johannesburg struck me as being lightless. Not dark, but bathed in an insipid unnatural yellowish glow.

We were airborne with just a few minutes delay. Castle beer, more airline food and a relatively short journey of just under 4000 kilometres as the SAA bird flies and we were in Nairobi and through customs. We had just retrieved our bags and were on our way out of the airport terminal when we were randomly stopped by three ladies in the employ of airport security. Passport and yellow fever card. Busted!

I was supposed to have had my shots ten days before travelling.
“Normally we send you back. I must take you to my boss. How much you got?”
2500 Shillings later I was in the taxi to Karen Camp.


So begins the odyssey… 

No comments: