Wednesday 19 October 2011

Nieu-Bethesda



I seldom write poems about places
My poetry is inspired by the spaces
Seldom unique but always resonating
In my mind: with my soul.
Places are found in history and legend
Spaces we nurture in secret with a smile
And what it is for me is seldom what it is for you
Yet similar in what we profess to hold true.
The poems have been written
And the verses have been sung
The quiet, the calm, the peaceful charm,
The blanket of stars that don’t always shine.
I walk these paths now
Where a different history is mingled with the dust
Just faded clouds of memory in the distance
Changed and changing with every step.
This place is divided and set apart
The space is complete fulfilling this traveler’s heart
The people I’ve met whose smiles have touched
Beneath the surface there lurks so much.
So sad how many can gaze at beauty
With a jaundiced eye mired in iniquity
Perfection cannot exist in a bubble
Denial does not take away the trouble.
Yet hope perseveres in the flowing river
The crisp clean air and the humble giver
The stars that fill the firmament above
And the brilliant glow of selfless love.
So I thank you all as I find my place
Humble and honoured I share the space
Where the dreams of a hundred ghosts roam free
And the past and future are allowed to be.

No comments: