Friday 7 October 2011

INADEQUATE!


Green is such an inadequate word
Unable to describe the colours I see before me
The adjectives and superlatives fail to capture;
The shades and hues are far too real to express
And when seen like this across a windswept spring-scape
The best I can do is say: “I wish you were here!”

One word is inadequate
Unable to describe the abundant nuances of the seemingly mundane
A whisper that can be described in a hundred different ways
Without ever conveying what was not said
And I look at everything happening around me
The best I can do is say: “I wish you could see this!”

Inadequate is the word that best describes
How we continually fail to perceive that our will has been reduced
Reduced to a race of unseeing watchers, mere spectators
Unable to embrace our potential for fear of failure
And I hear your facts and stats and scriptures and lies
The best I can do is say: “I wish you would think before you talk!”

All of these inadequate words
That fail to illuminate what could have been an adventure
Stringing sentences together like a chain-link handrail
To which we hold with all of our might
As we allow ourselves to be led, unthinking
Along a potholed path into the gloomy, treacherous future.

No comments: